Re: MiNT cross-compiler

Hi Vincent,

I thought you’d appreciate a progress mail.

For now, I’ve built binutils and gcc-4.6 with your patches (applied
liberally rather than literally as I mailed you) and got the dpkg
maintainer to add mint-m68k as a Debian architecture (patch also
applied locally). I’ve built gcc-4.6 as a DEB_STAGE=stage1 compiler,
that is, without a C library or header files, but self-contained.

Vincent Rivière dixit:

> What components do you use in your Debian distribution, in order to rebuild the
> atari-bootstrap package? The full MiNT toolchain (binutils + GCC + MiNTLib +

For now I’m doing without mintlib; my next step is to see whether
that is actually enough to build atari-bootstrap or whether I have
to package mintlib, or rather, what we need from it, for Debian as
well. (I looked at your packages, but would prefer to do things in
a more Debian way. No criticism, for a private repository they are
good enough.) If so, I’ll update the gcc patch to build without
DEB_STAGE set. Once I’ve had success, I’ll feed back the patches
to the respective Debian package maintainers. Independent of whether
atari-bootstrap needs mintlib, if I get bored I may port enough to
get a hello world programme running on MiNT (or even TOS?) on ARAnyM,
so the gcc maintainer can’t complain about the incompleteness of my
patches ;-)

This will take me some time, though; the m68k work has “idle priority”
for me, i.e. I’m doing it when nothing else pops up, and to educate
myself further (about m68k, Debian, porting, and other unixoid OSes).

> PML)?

What is PML? Your page only mentions a link to ftp.funet.fi which
is pretty much saying nothing.

Unfortunately, at the current time I do not know whether the climate
in Debian would be welcoming to a full FreeMiNT (cross-built) develop-
ment suite (there is precedent for a MinGW one though). But indepen-
dent of that, my changes (especially the dpkg one) would help people
reactivating “Debian GNU/MiNT”, which ragnar76 hinted at. (It’s at
http://web.archive.org/web/20080517034704/http://debian-mint.nocrew.org/
now, since all the Debian-related m68k stuff seems to have been thrown
away from nocrew at some point.) From what I’ve seen so far, doing it
would be relatively easy with those patches and what I’ve invested into
Debian proper until now, just time-consuming.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“It is inappropriate to require that a time represented as
 seconds since the Epoch precisely represent the number of