Re: mac kernel issues (was Re: nbd vs. failing HDDs)

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 08:21:27PM +1100, Finn Thain wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011, I wrote:
> > The top of the list of my priorities are the devices marked borken on
> > the machine status page. That's basically v1 PMU and Egret ADB (broken
> > since 2.2 and flaky even back then) and, as dicussed, NCR5380 SCSI.
>
> I found the problem with mac_scsi on machines with quadra-style VIA2. I
> will send a patch. And it seems to work reasonably well on OSS and RBV
> already, so I guess the machine status page is wrong.

That's good to know. I had gotten the impression that only the IIfx worked
due to the disabling of PDMA mode. It is good to have more working models.

> > ...Also nubus needs to get a proper device driver model implementation.
>
> Do you happen to know whether there's any activity within the nubus/pmac
> port towards this?

I just took a look at their mailing list and source repository on sf.net,
and it looks like someone is keeping mostly up to date with the upstream
kernel, but I don't see much in the way of new development.

I discussed it with some of them a few years ago, but I didn't end up
getting it done myself and didn't hear anything more from them either.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com