Re: gas: fails to assemble attached file

reassign 388098 emile 0.10-1
close 388098 0.11-1
quit

Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> I don’t know whether .chip should do this, but if
> you can, change (Emile?) to use .cpu instead or,
> preferably, run it with -Wa,-m68000 or something
> like that.

This was apparently fixed by emile 0.11-1:

   * Replace '.chip' assembly directives by '.cpu', which works with binutils
     2.17

The relevant binutils change was probably binutils-2_17~272
(config/tc-m68k.c (m68k_init_arch): Better detection of arch/cpu
mismatch, 2006-03-06).  I don't think "bra" had anything to do with it
--- the error message is about the ".chip" directive itself.

Now I don't know enough relevant lore to tell whether that was a good
change.  I think whatever people on the affected platform like would
probably be acceptable.  But for now I'm reassigning this to emile and
closing it, to reflect the history.

Thanks; that helped.