Re: linux-2.6_2.6.38-5_m68k.changes ACCEPTED

On Thu, 12 May 2011, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 09:24, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 12 May 2011, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> >
> >> Do we really want to compile wireless on m68k? AFAIK we don't have
> >> any.
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-m68k&m=128628785718187&w=2
> >
> > I suspect this list is also applicable to atari and amiga (?)

Excepting the PS2 mouse I should add. (And is there PCMCIA on
atari/amiga?)

> Yeah, I should look into updating the defconfigs again.
>
> Haven't done that anymore since the concept of minimal defconfigs was
> introduced, as I'm still a bit worried if I can trust them or not

Fair enough.

> (options not mentioned in the minimal defconfig may silently change
> their value depending on Kconfig logic; with the full ones I would
> immeditaly notice).

One solution is to fix the cruft in the Debian configs and then push those
upstream (that is, after running them through a mainline "make oldconfig"
to filter out the stuff that Debian's patches have introduced).

The upstream defconfigs aren't really needed by upstream developers except
for smoke testing the build. Downstream configs are useful for that too
and would also be useful to have in the mainline for end users who need to
build mainline kernels (which has been helpful for mac68k driver updates
in the past).

Finn