mailers, was Re: gcc-4.4 ICE

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> Finn Thain dixit:
>
> >If I reply to Sujit's message using alpine, it retains the original
> >encoding, and composes the reply in ISO-8859-1 (so it is lossless).
>
> Hm but my system does only utf-8
>
> >For your reply to Sujit's message the NBSP was converted to the utf-8
> >sequence U+EFBFBD, because your reply converted back to the utf-8
> >encoding.
>
> U+FFFD replacement char, actually.

Maybe so, but what arrived here was encoded as =EF=BF=BD. That is,
quoted-printable, text/plain, UTF-8. (I've no idea what showed up in any
other inboxes...)

> And he could have kept the tab…

Assuming that Sujit's system is capable of it, then yes, he could have
replied in some encoding other than ISO-8859-1.

> bye,
> //mirabilos, sorry for grumpy but just had tooth extraction

Sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon.

Finn