Re: 680?0, was Re: g++-4.4 failings

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Finn Thain wrote:

Oops, this one flew under the radar...

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Kolbjørn Barmen wrote:
[snip]
> > Other than that - who wouldn't want Freescale to put out one last
> > bad-ass m68k for us all... ah *dreaming* :)
>
> I'd be happy with a synthesizable '040 core. Free 68000 cores already
> exist:
>
> http://www.experiment-s.de/en/atari-ste-in-a-chip/
> http://opencores.org/project,tg68,overview
>
> Compared to the original MC68000, these designs are "bad-ass" already
> (i.e. they are faster cycle-for-cycle, have a wider bus, etc. Put one on
> an contemporary ASIC and you could probably clock it at half a GHz).

Yes, I am aware of this, I'm on the list to buy the FPGAArcade Replay*
when it comes. However, the speed is not really that impressive yet, and
for the targets of those projects, a mere 68020 compatibility is enough,
there is no need for MMU or FPU, things that are more or less required
for linux and *bsd, so... I'd say a ~500MHz-ish fully equipped m68k is
still worthy a dream :)

* http://fpgaarcade.com

and check outhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn4ZzLH6MpE :)

(and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNWLtSWXtD8 - that's a real 68EC000
running at 49.63 MHz playing video off an SD card in HAM6 as fast as it can)

Btw - I tried booting uCLinux on MiniMig, but it refuses to load, due to
lack of Fast RAM, which is understandable - MiniMig only has 2MB chipram
and 1.5MB Slow RAM - Old Minix on the other hand runs fine :)

http://amiga.nvg.org/moro/minixmig/DSC00143.JPG
(only 2MB, was before I upgraded with another 2MB)

Cheers!

-- kolla