Re: Linux/m68k on Atari

Le Sun, 05 Apr 2009 11:00:13 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Schmitz <schmitz@biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de> a _crit:

> Hi,
>
> > I made some more tests trying to boot the 2.6.26 kernel with various
> > options (I have 14MB ST-RAM and 64MB Fast-Ram, and using one of the
> > initrd.gz ramdisks).
> >
> > -s seems mandatory (load kernel in st-ram), but booting is very slow
> > (takes several minutes to reach rootfs mount). It should work
> > when loading kernel in Fast-Ram and should be much faster. Does the
> > kernel copy itself to FastRam before executing?
>
> Nope, the kernel does not relocate itself after loading. I think I do also use
> -s but booting is nowhere near as slow. (Not using a compressed ramdisk,
> though).
>
> What does the boot spend most of the time on?

It's not slow on a precise step, it's simply feeling slow overall. For
me it's not a surprise at all if the whole kernel runs from ST-RAM.

I was able to install the Etch image from
http://wiki.aranym.org/afs/setup_linux that was originally setup for
usage in Aranym, on one of my Falcon partitions; and run the 2.6.26
kernel using it.

If I remove the '-s' flag with the exact same setup, I hear the hard
disk spinning really fast loading all stuff, but (1) I only get a black
screen (2) it resets after a while.

Fixing the kernel to run it from FastRam seems top priority for me, to
have it run at full speed.

--
Patrice Mandin
WWW: http://pmandin.atari.org/