Re: debian kernel m68k patches for 2.6.28

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 03:42:53AM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> > The debian 2.6.28 kernel has hit sid, so it's probably time to
> > update the m68k patches.
> >
> > So how many of these [1] patches should go into the debian kernel?
> > Everything that's not commented, POSTPONED, or PRIVATE?
>
> Looks like you want all that are not commented or PRIVATE in the series file.
> But as Geert mentioned, there may be more in git.
>
> > If anyone else wants the job, please jump right on it. ;)
>
> You go ahead :-) Last time I tried, I could not even build a kernel image from
> the Debian release source kit.

http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage
http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/kernel/dists/sid/linux-2.6/debian/config/m68k/README.build?rev=12852&view=markup

* build cross compiler
* fetch orig debian source
* add debian directory from svn (sid)
* DEB_HOST_ARCH=m68k debuild -B -am68k

> It may be worth tracking Geert's git tree and work from that one. Geert's tree
> should allow you to check out Linus' release 2.6.28 as a branch, and import all

Unfortunately debian's source is sometimes sufficiently different to
be troublesome because they pull out what they consider non-free, then
start patching.

> of Debians patches into that branch one by one, committing as you go. A diff
> between that branch and Geert's HEAD should show all changes that are still
> missing. How to generate one diff for each commit into Geerts tree? git-cherry
> might help there if the Debian patches match existing commits, I haven't
> actually tried that. I'll see if I can make that work...

I used git-format-patch.

Peace,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>