toolchain, was Re: bogl: don't know screen type 1

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 12:16:27AM +0200, mike wrote:
> > Btw, i noticed an error
> > http://people.debian.org/~smarenka/d-i/m68k/images/daily/build_nativehd.log
> > E: Couldn't find package libnss-dns-udeb
> > make[2]: *** [stamps/get_udebs-nativehd-stamp] Error 100
> > make[1]: *** [_build] Error 2
> > make: *** [build_nativehd] Error 2
>
> Yep. debian-installer dailies are now *dead* until we get a modern libc
> working.

I wonder whether there are debian source packages for binutils, gcc and
glibc having TLS/NPTL support for m68k.

The patches posted to the binutils mailing list are incomplete. The
binutils patch at
http://people.debian.org/~smarenka/m68k/tls/
is broken according to Kolla:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2009/07/msg00001.html

But in that post (June 28) Maxim recommends using mainline binutils, and
since then we have HJL binutils-2.19.51.0.14 released, "...based on
binutils 2009 0722 in CVS on sourceware.org..." So I guess I should start
there.

I understand that the current GCC (4.4) lacks the necessary patches, and
4.5 is still uncooked (and that's a scary prospect). Can someone confirm
that this is the necessary patch for 4.4:
Presumably not this one?
http://people.debian.org/~smarenka/m68k/tls/gcc_patch2
(and gcc_patch1 is clearly broken... perhaps it was actually the same
thing before being mangled... Stephen, I don't think this "/tls" directory
is helping any.)
Or perhaps there is a known-good gcc 4.5 snapshot (FWIW, I'd much rather
patch a debian compiler instead, which means 4.4 or preferably older.)

As for eglibc, there are a number of branches listed here,
http://www.eglibc.org/repository
The question is, which branch, snapshot or release might meet be suitable?

With this information, I could attempt to build a toolchain from upstream
sources, or figure out whether or not the debian archive has the necessary
source packages...

Finn