Re: CONFIG_IOSCHED_* in m68k kernel

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:26:47AM -0500, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 01:58:34PM +1000, Finn Thain wrote:

> What I am trying to get at was that the kernel used to install does not
> necessarily have to be the kernel we boot from (or does it?) after needing
> the initrd.  On m68k, such a kernel does not need to be feature rich, but
> needs to supply those features needed to allow install and the initrd.  As
> you said, no single default kernel will remove the benefit of a custom
> kernel, and I completely agree.

debian-installer uses the default debian, very modular kernel repackaged
in udebs. It doesn't use a special kernel because of the problems
associated with maintaining even more kernel configs across all the archs.

I've tried hard not to deviate from the standard d-i installation system
because every m68k-specific path is far less tested.

> Instead of supplying everything in the default, the thought was to minimize
> the default (especially, the kernel+initrd to get to the first re-boot of
> the install, where all the modules have been loaded on to the hard disk.
>
> I would assume that the m68k subarches have their own kernel configs?  If
> for no other reason than to select the subarch being targeted?

Yes. debian-kernel configs for sid at [0].

[0] http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/kernel/dists/sid/linux-2.6/debian/config/m68k/

> I have pulled a significant amount of items out of the kernel config, such
> that it is using 1.7M on my 16M system.  From that exercise I came up with
> several other general kernel config options that could very probably be
> turned off without effect, especially for the install kernel.  I'd be happy
> to share if the group is interested.

Bring them up, who knows?

> This has a huge benefit in kernel compile time reduction. For me, this has
> benefit to help with getting the clgen driver working so my EGS Spectrum
> card will be useful under 2.6.

Peace,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>