Re: installing lenny on m68k/amiga

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 01:35:42PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:19:28PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have tried to setup debian on my Amiga again with CD image from Nov 24
> > 2008 and the Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 "0" - Unofficial m68k NETINST Binary-1
> > from 20080401-05:07. With both of them it is not possible to install debian
> > without performing some changes on the CD.
> [...]
> > The lenny kernel (2.6.24) does not seem to have a driver for my Blizzard2060
> > SCSI card, 2.6.26 also does not recognize my SCSI card.
> > isofs is not built in, so that the installer can not access the installation
> > CD. I think that was the point where I also gave up last time.
> [...]
>
> I tried again using 2.6.18-4-amiga instead, but it seems I am using the
> wrong ramdisksize. I started with 9000, now I am at 1000000, but I always
> gget messages like these, with "want" = 4 * "limit" + 8
>
> ram0: rw=0, want=12891144, limit=3222784
>
> Should I uncompress the initrd as well? Do I have to write the initrd to a
> spare partition? Or is this initrd not compatibable with the kernel version?

Which exact url are you using and what exact command line? The initrd's
haven't needed a ramdisksize since the switch to initramfs, I believe.

To uncompress it you need:
	zcat initrd | cpio -iv

I believe amiga needs an uncompressed kernel. I don't know of anything
else special. It seems like Ingo did an amiga install fairly recently.

Of note, there is no real lenny and I believe the lenny installer is
broken for install etch (or there is some rumor to that effect on
d-boot). I'm not sure the etch installer ever worked after the etch to
etch-m68k transition.

Peace,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>