Re: Crest, Kullervo & security

Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Some time ago Peter Palfrader from DSA asked me by mail how to proceed with
> Crest & Kullervo. He would like to get rid off it (DSA-wise) and hand it
> over to us.
> I mentioned this issue shortly during the Kiel Meeting and said that I would
> like to have at least one DD-accessible machine for all DDs under DSA
> control. Or at least using the LDAP from Debian.

Would something similar as the kfreebsd hosts not work? Maybe it can
even be hosted at d-ports.org?

> Another point is security support. Kullervo was used as a security buildd as
> well. Are there other security buildds? Do we need to rebuild security since
> we are now on debian-ports? How are security builds handled at the moment?

There is only security support for what's (was) in the release and for
testing for other architectures...

> My impression is that DSA wants to get rid off m68k because it's too slow,
> but having a DD accessible machine would be good for us. So, maybe if we can
> manage security for Crest and its chroots we could still use Debian LDAP but
> DSA would not need to care about m68k anymore? Would that be possible?

I'm not sure what (m68k specific?) release you would want to do security
support for? I'm also not sure if it's a good precedent to take over
(what seems to be) DSA tasks for a server which in DSA's eyes will
probably not be (DSA) supported anyway?

I think that having an unofficial porter machine would be very welcome
and would probably be better supported by m68k enthiusiasts than an
official porter machine would be :-)

Cheers

Luk