Re: Serial Console Support in Kernel

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 03:19:08AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:

>>> Debian kernel was without serial console support. I believe it would be nice
>>> to have this enabled by default, so could you please do so? TIA! :)
>> Just tell me which option I need to activate, and I will try to include that
>> in the next images, and I can also build some test images for you.
> CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE is the config option.

Yes, I think so...

> AFAICS Amiga only offers two options - debug=mem saves the dmesg buffer
> in chip RAM for later reading by AmigaOS dmesg. Not too useful for us

Indeed, especially at the moment without a suitable monitor at the data
center. I plan to get one there when I'm visiting my parents the next time.

> (Geert: could we leave the corresponding chunk in chipram untouched for
> reading it out using a different kernel (or different parameter, like
> debug=getmem ??)

Would be nice to have, yes, but it's difficult to use when there's a
non-booting kernel and you can't change the commandline remotely to boot
another kernel. ;)
A real Amiga bootloader with serial console would be really great for this!
;)

> debug=ser is active once consoles have been set up (and it looks like you
> should be able to use it as command console as well).

Well, when the consoles are up you can use the normal serial console as
well. I don't know what's the difference when you set debug=ser without
looking it up...

Anyway, it would be nice to have a serial console (system messages during
boot) as soon as possible and we should setup at least Crest as well for
using such a serial console. Due to it's VGA output and the FlickerFixer,
Kullervo don't need this as urgent as Crest and Elgar, IMHO...

--
Ciao...                //        Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo           \X/         SIP: 2744150@sipgate.de

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc