Etch install on A1200. Floating point exception

Hello,

I thought I'd give Debian a go on my Amiga A1200 (with 68030 CPU/MMU, 68882 FPU & 32MB RAM).

I downloaded a kernel (kernels/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-amiga) and initrd (hd-media/initrd.gz) from http://people.debian.org/~smarenka/d-i/images-m68k/daily/

Transferred (the decompressed) kernel and initrd to my A1200 and booted with:

amiboot -d -k vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-amiga -r initrd.gz root=/dev/ram video=pal

And my A1200 booted into the installer. (I am impressed!)

The installer proceeds in low memory mode, I select region then country and reach the "Detecting hardware to find drives" screen. Once the progress bar completes I get a blank blue screen, and after a minute or so the message "Floating point exception" is displayed /sbin/debian-installer exits, init restarts it and the "Detecting hardware to find drives" is repeated. This loops around and around and blocks the install.

I suspect my problem is caused by my choice of kernel and initrd coming from a "daily" directory. So my question is:

Q) Am I using the correct kernel+initrd / install procedure to install Etch on my A1200?

Regards,

Nigel