Re: FOSDEM thoughts

CF doesn't strictly have to be a separate port; it simply needs separate
binaries. From a tool chain perspective, coldfire is identical, its
identified as m68k-linux-gnu with the expectation of the binutils
target. Unless a failure to build is triggered by a binutils bug, m68k
and coldfire should be identical once you get higher then pure opcodes
(and if we have any packages that include hand assembled m68k binaries,
I'll eat my boot). It's proof that porting Linux to coldfire was trival;
I don't even think there are any specific options for CF in the actual
kernel.

One of the machines I was going to use as a m68k buildd, proved
unsuitable (it seems lilo in aranym on PPC is broken and I don't know
enough about the Linux kernel/ELF file format to figure out what's
broken without a significant time investment). I could throw
QEMU/Coldfire on it, do the grunt work of porting dpkg to recognize
coldfire as an architecture (right now, all its doing is mirroring
debian etch, and I'm setting up a Testing distro on it. Adding an
incoming and spawning a w-b database for coldfire would be fairly easy).

I was under the impression that five evaluation were given out, might be
worth finally putting those to use :-).
Michael