Re: D-I Etch+1/2 CD images (was: D-I Etch+1/2 kernel selection)

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 04:16:36PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:28:16AM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> > > I wonder if we should request support for m68k? 2.6.24 may be the last
> > > kernel for a while that supports SCSI drivers for m68k, many important
> > > drivers have been removed in 2.6.25, so this may be a kernel we will have to
> > > stick with for a while. Now m68k is not officially supported by etch, can it
> > > be supported by etch+1/2?
> >
> > Is there an arch that doesn't work with 2.6.22, but does work with
> > 2.6.24? If not, there's no point in special etch+1/2. You can upgrade the
> > kernel after installation.
>
> I don't know if 2.6.24 has superior support for some subarch, thats why I am
> asking here.
>
> But AFAIK there are no etch CDs for m68k? So perhaps with this, we might get
> some current install CDs? (Disclaimer: I did not check if there are etch
> CDs, but newer is often better?)

I believe we can generate etch-m68k cds. It wasn't done before because
we were hoping to have a plan to update etch-m68k. So far, we haven't
done much updating or much planning. :)

Frankly, I haven't seen a large demand for install cds. Is there any
reason to build a whole set or just the little ones?

> And as I said, 2.6.25 will remove a lot of SCSI drivers, you don't want to
> upgrade your kernel to that.. unless somebody fixes the drivers, ports them
> to the new scheme or whatever is needed, Geert and Roman probably know what
> has to be done.

Hopefully that will be fixed before we build 2.6.25 for m68k. I won't
move d-i to using 2.6.25 in sid until it is.

Peace,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>