Re: EMILE package testers sought

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Eugen Paiuc wrote:

> /Hi Wouter,
> /> Thanks. I've been working on getting the Centris 650 to work with 2.6,
> > but $WORK and FOSDEM organization intervened. Thanks for helping me
> > test; I'm uploading these packages as I write this.
>
> I thanks you and Laurent for emile package.
>
> Now you may put emile on cd-roms from the new d-i, I meen installing
> emile on d-i cdroms images.

Yes, a bootable etch CD would be nice...

> Other interesting  things, seen after I rescue my IDE disk, on quadra 630, the
> root of debian /  ( from /dev/hda5)
> is seeing/view on hfs partition( deh/hda8) , and  we may,  even, pic the
> kernel from penguin, directly fom directory /debian/boot  from hfs partition,
> any complain from macos !

What is /debian/boot? Is that part of the initrd? Or are you saying that
/boot could be initialized as HFS during partitioning? Penguin can use a
kernel on HFS of course -- I wonder if emile can?

If you make /boot HFS, the kernel is limited to a read-only mount, and so
you'd need special tools to write to it: hfsprogs, hfsplus and/or
hfsutils. So installing kernel debs isn't going to be much easier.

The nice thing about Emile is that Penguin's MacOS/HFS vs. Linux/Ext2
problem doesn't happen because there is no MacOS. Perhaps I misunderstand
you.

> And,  please, look what get emile -scanbus , on that IDE disk ( who/whitch
> boot normal in mac )
> # emile --scanbus
> /dev/hda:
>  Drivers
>     0: base: 128 size: 26 type: ATA <3: Macintosh [Apple_Driver_ATA], SCSI HD
> driver>
>  Partitions
>     1:            Apple [Apple_partition_map]
>     2:        Macintosh [Apple_Driver43  ]  *
>     3:        Macintosh [Apple_Driver_ATA]  *
>     4:  Patch Partition [Apple_Patches   ]
>     5:       A/UNIX [Apple_UNIX_SVR2 ]
>     6:           A/UNIX [Apple_UNIX_SVR2 ]
>     7:           A/SWAP [Apple_UNIX_SVR2 ]
> --> 8:       untitled 4 [Apple_HFS       ]  *
>     9:            Extra [Apple_Free      ]
> /#
>
> nor apple or emile boot block are  mentioneted. ?!

Does emile normally list boot blocks? They are found in the first 1024
bytes of an HFS partition, but of course the partition map itself doesn't
know about partition contents...

-f