Re: [buildd] needs-build @ 914

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 02:52:25PM +0100, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 07:27:07AM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
>
> > Meanwhile, maybe we need to think about what a debian-m68k distribution
> > should really have in it. We could probably release a lenny-m68k without
> > kde, gnome, mathematical packages, and some of the other large packages
> > that afaik, nobody uses on m68k.
>
> Definitely, such packages like blast2, axiom or scilab doesn't make much
> sense on m68k except for academically proving that it can be run on m68k,
> imho.
> Similar packages are flight simulators and other high cpu and graphic load
> based apps. I really doubt that anyone will ever use fs on linux m68k.
>
> Maybe we should concentrate on basic functionality including X11 support
> with xfce4 or icewm, some sort of browser (dillo and iceweasel) and email
> apps.
>
> > Would ya'll (such users and developers that hang around this list) support
> > that?
>
> I do!
> I think we can take care for about 4000 source packages, but ~7000 packages
> is was too much, especially when some of the porters are always trying to
> bring coldfire support in...

Actually, we generally stay caught up until a major bug or toolset
change causes us grief. Getting caught back up again takes us a very
long time. It might be that we just need a very much smarter buildd
queue with the things we don't care about sitting on the back burner
until everything else is built.

> Maybe we should start a new thread and announce it prominently on planet.d.o
> and debian-devel@l.d.o and collect opinions for about 2 weeks and then take
> action accordingly.

I'd rather figure out *how* before I'm overly concerned with what and
announcing it to the world. :)

<stephen@marenka.net>