Re: Updating Sarge

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:07:10AM +1000, stephen wrote:
> At the start of the year/late last year I installed Sarge 3.1r3 onto my A3000
> before I had a network card.
> I would now like to update the system to at least cover updates for 3.1 and if
> it's still supported etch.

Just so you know etch is a different distribution. And m68k didn't do a
proper release so for us it's etch-m68k and there's been very little
security support for it (excepting openssl).

> When I run apt-get update/install I get lots of errors saying tat the sources
> for the apt command cant be found (dir's don't exist on the remote server).

The official mirror list is at <http://www.debian.org/mirror/list>.

You need to make sure m68k is actually on the mirror you're using.

If this exists for you
then sarge is on that mirror.

If this exists for you
then etch-m68k is on that mirror.

> What is the correct /etc/apt/sources.list server's syntax I should be using?

for sarge:
deb http://$mirror/debian sarge main
deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main

for etch:
deb http://$mirror/debian etch-m68k main

> Btw: the network card is a X-Surf3 and I'm able to get out to the network at
> home/internet fine...

Then you should be good to go.