Re: Updating Sarge

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:07:10AM +1000, stephen wrote:
> At the start of the year/late last year I installed Sarge 3.1r3 onto my A3000
> before I had a network card.
>
> I would now like to update the system to at least cover updates for 3.1 and if
> it's still supported etch.

Just so you know etch is a different distribution. And m68k didn't do a
proper release so for us it's etch-m68k and there's been very little
security support for it (excepting openssl).

> When I run apt-get update/install I get lots of errors saying tat the sources
> for the apt command cant be found (dir's don't exist on the remote server).

The official mirror list is at <http://www.debian.org/mirror/list>.

You need to make sure m68k is actually on the mirror you're using.

If this exists for you
http://$mirror/debian/dists/sarge/main/binary-m68k/
then sarge is on that mirror.

If this exists for you
http://$mirror/debian/dists/etch-m68k/
then etch-m68k is on that mirror.

> What is the correct /etc/apt/sources.list server's syntax I should be using?

for sarge:
deb http://$mirror/debian sarge main
deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main

for etch:
deb http://$mirror/debian etch-m68k main

> Btw: the network card is a X-Surf3 and I'm able to get out to the network at
> home/internet fine...

Then you should be good to go.

hth,

stephen