Re: kernel

Hi,

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> > No, it wouldn't. You can easily mount filesystem images as complete block
> > devices under Linux/Aranym
>
> Nope. If you partition the disk (image) on Atari then you can't mount it
> easily on the host (unless you patch host operating system to recognize Atari
> PTBL). And vice-versa - if you partition a disk on the host then linux-m68k
> might have a problem mounting such partitions (until you patch it to recognize
> that host PTBL). That is a fact. Or are you going to argue about it?

Why are you talking about partitions now? For anything you mentioned here:

http://wiki.aranym.org/manual#single_partition_mount

there is _no_ need to synthesize a partition table, it will just show up
as /dev/nfhd instead of /dev/nfhd1. That's the _only_ difference, why is
this so important?

> > there is no need for a synthetic partition table.
>
> the synthetic PTBL hides the differences between various PTBL schemas and so
> is great for making the data transfer much easier.

Why should I deal with that in first place???
I don't have any Atari disks and I have no intention of creating one.

> > Forcing it OTOH means it prevents me from creating my own partitions.
>
> you can create your own partitions - just do it on the host side!
>
> If you insist on playing with fdisk on linux-m68k then simply use the IDE disk
> drives but I believe that most people in most cases simply don't need the
> fdisk and will gladly skip it and mount the partitions directly.

Why are you trying so hard to talk away that people might find it useful
to partition their devices under Linux?
IDE devices are harder to setup, so I'd prefer to point people to the
simple option, which _requires_ that they can use a normal installer to
install Linux on these devices, which usually requires to partition them.
As long as that is not possible, it's simply not an usable option.

bye, Roman