Re: "Illegal instruction" for most trivial of programs

On Feb 4, 3:00 pm, James Kimble <jkim...@one.net> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 11:50 am, Wouter Verhelst <wou...@debian.org> wrote:
>

> > On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 12:23:39PM -0800, James Kimble wrote:
>
> > > I'm running kernel 2.6.10 on a Coldfire (5484) that I ported from a
> > > Freescale BSP for this family of processors.
>
> > > Everything seems to work OK but I keep getting the message "Illegal
> > > instruction" after the execution of any program I run. For example:
>
> > You are aware that the instruction set differs between ColdFire and
> > "classic" m68k? I've been working on modifying the toolchain so that a
> > common subset would be used for Debian, allowing it to work on both
> > "classic" hardware and ColdFires, but that work hasn't been finished yet
> > (in fact, it hasn't made much progress, since I'm currently on this all
> > by myself). If you're trying Debian binaries, then obviously this won't
> > work; if you want to run Linux, you need to use the toolchain from the
> > Freescale BSP.
>
> > --
> > <Lo-lan-do> Home is where you have to wash the dishes.
> >   -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22

I've got another weird thing going on here. I can't assign values
greater that 128 to integers. When the program reaches the statement
that does that I get the same "Illegal instruction" message and the
program exits without completing. For example if I just add a for loop
to the end of the above program it will only work for loop values less
than 128. At 128 the program will exit and give the "Illegal
instruction" message. What the heck is going on here?

I was looking into stack size and that's 16K and was what was set by
the BSP author. That doesn't seem too small. I can't imagine what
would be limiting the size of variables. This is a 32 bit platform.
The OS reports an int size of 32 bits. Very weird!!

Any help or suggestions appreciated,