Re: Buildd AutoDepWait for perl and linux-2.6

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 06:34:38PM -0200, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> I've subscribed to the list. No need to CC me. Thanks.
>
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:10:08 -0600
> Stephen R Marenka <stephen@marenka.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 12:43:59AM -0200, Thadeu Lima de Souza
> > Cascardo wrote:
> > > Hello, Folks.
> > >
> > > I've found a kind of a circular dependency when checking for
> > > versions of perl and linux-2.6 packages.
> > >
> > > linux-2.6 won't build because it build-depends on dpkg-dev, which
> > > depends on perl5 and perl-modules. perl5 is provided by perl, which
> > > is version 5.8.8-7. 5.8.8-8 and onwards won't build because they
> > > build-depends on gcc-4.2.
> >
> > Actually, we also need a sourceful upload of gcc-defaults [gcc (>=
> > 4:4.2)] (see bug #451190). gcc-4.2_4.2.2-3 built fine and is already
> > in the archive.
> >

> Yes. gcc-defaults builds fine. However, if you check the source
> (debian/rules), you will see that m68k gets 4.1 versions. Since it's
> less than 30 lines, I will copy it:

Hence bug #451190 and why we're waiting on a sourceful upload of
gcc-defaults.

> So, I guess only some GCJ stuff is 4.2. By the changelog, you can see
> m68k is the only bad child  :-(:

At that point we'd never built gcc-4.2, if I recall.

> (a cross compiler) and did not build in the buildd either
> (http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=gcc-4.2;ver=4.2.2-4;arch=m68k;stamp=1196273914).
> And that's for the same reason. I've checked linux-libc-dev and did not
> find the cachectl.h header. So, I've decided to check in my git version
> of Linux. And I could find by a log message that since 2.6.24-rc1, we
> have a fix. Before I've sent a message to the list, I went to the
> history and found this message:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2007/10/msg00035.html
>
> So, it seems Geert (or Matthew Wilcox, not sure) has fixed it and it
> was a reply to a message you have sent.
>
> > > Well, gcc-4.2 won't build because it requires a patch which is only
> > > on 2.6.24-rc1 vanilla, so we shouldn't expect it in debian unless
> > > the patch is applied for 2.6.23, right?
> >
> > Is that true? Could I get a reference for that? Otherwise I can
> > requeue the build.

Oh that totally rings a bell. Thanks. I'll go patch vivaldi and queue
gcc-4.2.

> Next time, I will give the references in the message. Sorry.

No worries, thanks for the cluebat.

Peace,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>