Re: working xorg.conf i promised

On 6/5/07, Brad Boyer <flar@allandria.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 10:55:42PM -0700, Brian Morris wrote:
≈≈

> when i tried on mine i did not realize that (appears) the framebuffer
> is named "MAC" (so kernel indicates choices of either that or "Valkyrie"
> which is correct for 630 but not for 650, but the name that the system
> provides is *not* "Mac" rather some obscure four letter acronym ≈

The generic driver is "macfb" and will try to use whatever your main
display was before booting in whatever mode it was already in. The

this prior resolution setting  is the same in the power macs, even with
specific fb drivers, so likewise the valkyrie of course.

four letter acronym you saw is DAFB, which is the name of the particular
hardware in the Q650 (among others).

well  I wondered if it were a real chip or simply a generic name
like "Mac". seems to just stand for "Digital/Analog Frame Buffer"

The macfb driver is similar to the
vesafb driver on the PC side in that it can provide a basic display, but
it doesn't always give you the full hardware capabilities. The only full
native driver we have for an m68k Mac is valkyrie (Q630) since this
hardware is also present in some PowerMac models. Writing better video
drivers is honestly not a high priority for most people involved, but
if you're interested in it there are people here who could provide advice.

well my priority is with the q630 to have keypad support and xemacs
X support first (to support my goal use it as educational development
platform, exploiting the uniformity of "debian is debian"). also seems
there is some other bottleneck on 630 which causes for instance
very slow some Xapps which do work such as pdf viewers (looks like
~20% the speed of macos which seems unreasonable especially
considering other things that work OK, although better than totally
broken it is not exactly useable). Just for reference none of these
software problems (other than the keypad) appear to have any
relation to video either X or kernel as same problems if running
client remote on the ppc Xservers...

my 605 (transposed to "650" above) I thought to try headless (because
it has the on/off switch), even though capable of   higher
resolutions I did notice it slow drawing even on the console.

at some point I might like to practice my C and sort of physics I guess,
I might look at least at the basic framebuffer support in kernel. It *is*
nice to have 1024x768 on console, and higher is possible if buy VRAM...

Brian

≈