Re: [mac68k] Do you ant to play with a floppy ?

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> > > I notice you are using peculiar (to me) versions of compilers. 3.4
> > > for m68k and 4.1 as cross compiler. Is this more compatible ?
> > >
> > > Reason I ask is there was some discussion on the list lately about
> > > have had held on to 3.3 too long and why and problems with 4.1 (and
> > > 4.2 now as well).
> >
> > In fact, for m68k, I tried to move to gcc 4 but it generates incorrect
> > code. So I use gcc 3.
>
> Part of my question was how or why you have 3.4 when I have 3.3, I
> cannot recall seeing 3.4 anywhere except on gnu website so it may be you
> built it yourself from gnu ?

There are debian packages for 3.4 if you go looking for them.

I wouldn't advise using FSF sources without searching the gcc bugzilla
first. E.g. FSF 3.4.6 throws an internal compiler error when building the
OCFS kernel module.

> I have wondered if better to do that as some other distro now has m68k
> in uClinux supports all versions of 68 k now so maybe patches of debian
> are different, could be debian has more bugs.

Personally, I used debian sources (having read through the patches). And
given the debugging efforts Roman and others made for etch, debian's gcc
4.1 was the obvious choice. But for the moment I tend to use 3.3 for
kernel development because it is faster and it is a known quantity.

-f