Build failures of 1.2.3 on Debian hppa, mips, mipsel, s390, m68k

Hi folks,

The 'new' Open MPI packages for Debian that are maintained by a few of us via
a group on alioth.debian.org have now [1] reached the main distribution. This
means they are being built on all supported architecture and logs accumulate at
	http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=openmpi

This shows success on 'alpha', 'amd64', 'ia64', 'powerpc' and 'x86' (implied,
my build architecture).  However, we have failures on 'hppa', 'mips' and
'mipsel'. The remaining ones ('arm', 'm68k', 's390' and 'sparc') are still
outstanding.

Looking at the most recent error logs on the failing architectures we see

 i)  that hppa (in the way configure sees it) is not supported:

checking if .size is needed... yes
checking if .align directive takes logarithmic value... no
configure: error: No atomic primitives available for hppa-unknown-linux-gnu
make: *** [config.status] Error 1

    Now, configure and aclocal have lots of 'hppa*64' statements.  Is it
    enough to turn these into  'hppa*64*|hppa*linux*' or something similar ?

    This issue has previously been logged in the Debian Bug Tracking System,
    see http://bugs.debian.org/431631

 ii) that mips croaks at the assembler level

ln -s "../../opal/asm/generated/atomic-local.s" atomic-asm.s
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile gcc  -DNDEBUG -Wall -g -O2 -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing -c -o atomic-asm.lo atomic-asm.s
libtool: compile:  gcc -DNDEBUG -Wall -g -O2 -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing -c atomic-asm.s  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/atomic-asm.o
atomic-asm.s: Assembler messages:

    I haven't looked in detail, but is there a non-assembler code branch we
    could invoke?

 iii) mipsel is also not supported:

checking if .size is needed... yes
checking if .align directive takes logarithmic value... yes
configure: error: No atomic primitives available for mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu
make: *** [config.status] Error 1

    What can we do here?  Can the Debian porters help with tests to devise
    a mips/mipsel configuration?

Looking at the bug archive for 'openmpi' we see more failures:

    iv)  s390 has an open bug about the same 'atomic primitives' issue, see
         http://bugs.debian.org/376833

    v)   m68k has an open bug about the same 'atomic primitives' issue, see
         http://bugs.debian.org/405929

It is possible to just declare a lists of architectures on which to build,
but this is somewhat strongly discouraged.

Please let us (ie Debian's openmpi maintainers) how else we can help.  I am
ccing the porters lists (for hppa, m68k, mips) too to invite them to help. I
hope that doesn't get the spam filters going...  I may contact the 'arm'
porters once we have a failure; s390 and sparc activity are not as big these
days.

Regards, Dirk

[1] New packages go into the NEW queue so that the ftpfaster can inspect the
packaging, licenses, ... and reorganised source packages with new or renmamed
binary packages get the same treatment.

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison