ARAnyM 0.9.5beta (was Re: benchmark between aranym and crest)

Stephen R Marenka wrote:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 03:18:44PM +0000, Bill Allombert wrote:
Here the result with current aranym CVS on the same host:
The result are much better all around. It is about twice as fast
as crest.

Sweet! It be nice to get that packaged. The archive only has
0.9.4beta2-1.

ARAnyM 0.9.5beta-1 is in Debian sid already.

Originally I thought I would show you a way of running ARAnyM without X11 by something as simple as the following command:

$ SDL_VIDEODRIVER=dummy aranym

but unfortunately it crashes with SIGILL on my Etch setup (that SIGILL comes from libsdl or even libc but I didn't locate it with gdb bt and debug build of libsdl).

So the only thing I could suggest you for running ARAnyM faster is to lower the VIDEL refresh frequency from default 25 FPS down to say 1 FPS. Now it is possible to tune this value not only in the config file itself but also online in the SETUP GUI. When you lower the VIDEL refresh frequency ARAnyM spends less time by redrawing the screen thus you get more time for gcc&co :-)

Petr