Re: netfilter unavailable

On 6/14/07, L Moore <ljmoore@wightman.ca> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 02:31:00PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > If I may ask? I've been using this as an exercise in compiling and linking
> > in Linux. Where would you set CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES -
>
> In the kernel .config file (using make menuconfig, ideally)
≈
otherwise (not set up for kernel building yet), try looking in /boot
with the config file there that matches your kernel version. a grep
for XTABLES.

on the subject of simply connectiing through a hub local net I have
not ever had to fuss with these. i do have ssh going in to debian via
my old mac powerbook540 running macos8.1 with mac ssh. I gave
the book a local adress in the same subnet as the debian, that was
in my case something like 192.168.0.101 and netmask 255.255.255.0

I put in /etc/hosts on debian the adresses.

I get *out* through a pbg4 as convoluted but suffice to say
i use ipmasq in debian there to share a wireless link with my local
net. that is the pbg4 gets online through the wireless hop and
ipmasq makes it appear to be a single machine although it is
actually connected to the hub. then i can get ftp to package downloads
assuming i know the adress (I have been so far too lazy to set up
routing). I think I read that before ipmasq you used to have to
do this with iptables and it was tougher.

i don't recomend these methods necessarily. it is just that wireless
is all the rage here and no body supports wiring anymore, if you
have a wiring problem you are told to get wireless, even though
universal reception is technically not too achievable (I get it about
half the time, the other half I have take-out).

i wonder i have seen that there are wireless devices for scsi. don't
know if any available/ supported though. not sure if it would be worth
it. I do keep archives of html research notes on the pb520, but the
web is pretty harsh for it, the last time i had a wire which was a few
years ago.