Re: aranym text console

Wouter Verhelst wrote:

Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen with the current state of
affairs, since it's impossible to get some sort of text output from the
console to a program outside of the emulator;

there is a way of redirecting the kernel output to serial, parallel, midi (standard Atari ports) or to aranym debug output. Wouldn't this help? Or what kind of console output outside of the emulator you need? Networking is of no help here?

Would it be possible to add in support for a serial line?

I wouldn't like emulating another Atari chip so I'd rather add a simple natfeat driver to the linux kernel, if it is acceptable.

Additionally, it would also be nice if the sdl usage could be disabled
with a simple command line switch, or so. Currently you have to have an
X server available, which isn't desirable for this type of usage.

It's not easy to disable SDL in ARAnyM, I am afraid (perhaps the video output could be disabled, but not the SDL as a whole), but Xvfb or perhaps aalib SDL video driver could help here. Haven't tried that, though.

Petr