xorg crashing

----- Forwarded message from Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> -----

From: Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au>
To: ljmoore@wightman.ca
Subject: Re: Fwd: mac status, was Re: time setting on 950

On Sun, 6 May 2007, ljmoore@wightman.ca wrote:

> On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 11:50:16AM +1000, Finn Thain wrote:
> >
> > You could try,
> >
> > $ startx -- -dpms
> >
> This returned to bash with an error message.
> enclosed find xorg.conf and the log

Signal 11 is a segmentation fault. This is the same crash that showed up
in your earlier mail, but in that log there was no mention of DPMS at all,
which makes me think I'm barking up the wrong tree. I don't want to waste
your time with more guesses, so I think you'd better ask the mailing list
why xorg would crash and what to do about it. I can't be of much help
until I set up etch and xorg myself, and I don't really want to attempt
that while I still have driver bugs to fix...

-f

----- End forwarded message -----
OK, Thanks and I shall put this to the group ...
Problem: xserver-xorg crashes
from a user account startx yields:
... the usual preamble lines, the screen balnks. then there's an
unblinking white underline cursor in the left upper corner;
it disappears for a second, reappears as a light blue unblinking
underline cursor. At which point, the display and keyboard
are frozen ( procmail, exim4 and fetchmail continue to work;)
after a variable interval either bash, display and keyboard return
to life - or they never return (>8hrs wait) and I push the power key
and return to macos8.
Any ideas os what I should try?
Thanks.