Re: 68k and coldfire and future

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> i believe that handhelds will be the hot product in the next few years.

Perhaps coldfire devices will proliferate. Who knows?

> could someone explain issue with TLS,

The release after Etch requires glibc 2.4/2.5, which means porting the
Native POSIX Threading Library.

As I understand it, the problem is that Thread Local Storage needs to be
implemented in-kernel, and then __thread support could be done in GCC, and
only then can a glibc boffin port NPTL and current glibc. I don't know if
binutils is implicated too. Anyway, it is non-trivial (if not onerous).

-f