Re: Future of m68k - Etch and beyond

Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 11:50:17PM +1100, Finn Thain wrote:

How will the m68k cope with the glibc problem for Lenny in the future? How is the Coldfire port going on?
I think Aranym is a better prospect than ColdFire. Without revisiting the ISA differences etc, Aranym wins on availability and price.

Well, the impression I got from Bills aranym tests are, that it is not much
faster than any real m68k hardware. It's great for developers without access
to real hardware, but it's not that way that you'll have a nice quadcore
server to replace all of our current buildds and to meet the release
criteria. But maybe I got something wrong...

Roman Zippel has added caching to ARAnyM MMU recently that speeded it up considerably (in CVS only, not released yet). I wouldn't be surprised if ARAnyM was faster than any real m68k hardware on a decent host now.

Petr