ICE "likely" hardware prob when diff result after repeate (was: [buildd] failed packages)

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:17:04 +0100, "Christian T. Steigies" wrote:
> I  looked through the failed packages yesterday and found some that
> had strange gcc failures, how does gcc know a bug is not reproducible?
>
> http://www.buildd.net/cgi/package_status?unstable_pkg=texmaker&searchtype=m68k&arch=m68k
> The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.

I get the impression that gcc (Debian, or upstream) integrated a Red Hat
feature. "When a Red Hat gcc release gets an ICE, it tries re-executing
the command, to see if it fails again. If it doesn't, then that usually
indicates a hardware problem." [1]

[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-11/msg01309.html Jim Wilson, 2005,
seen Feb 19 2007

     Drew Daniels