Re: linux-image-2.6-17-mac tries

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Brian Morris wrote:

> i don't really care much for the lcIII but i had the way to install a
> system with that and then try to boot it from the old powerbook in disc
> mode.

The 2.2 kernel may allow you to use the lc to prepare a boot disk for the
powerbook. But then, the same is true of any Debian machine with a SCSI
port.

> should have nothing, IMHO (but some people think that coldfire will run
> a cut down osx on a palm like MS did with their junk (better of course,
> but still nothing like Linux)). the cross compilers come in two flavours
> tho - one for debian and one for osx, and they seem to be different, as
> well as some kernel developments going in parallel there of the
> sourceforge project.

I plan to update the OS X cross compilers on sourceforge using debian
sources after etch goes stable, but I wouldn't use them for building debs.
I'd be using any fast debian box with SCSI (architecture doesn't matter).

One option would be to host the cross toolchain on the debian box, using
the latest etch source packages to build the cross tool chain.

A much easier option would be to use a native compiler under etch under
aranym for that sort of experiment.

Then, having rebuilt all the neccessary etch packages, you could
(theoretically) put the powerbook in target mode and plug it in for the
install (with debootstrap I guess)... I can't say I've tried this, but it
seems doable.

-f