Re: [buildd] Etch?

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 01:06:44PM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> > I may be able help with some compute cycles, as I've just obtained a
> > Quadra 840AV.
> I don't think compute cycles is the problem. We need people to track
> down and fix the bugs. gcc upstream seems to be willing to help diagnose
> m68k bugs, but there's *no* priority to fix them.

Well, additional machines for porters work can take off load from our
buildds. You're using Akire for that purpose as well, don't you? ;)
But yes, man power is the most important show blocker at the moment, I've to
admit...

> If the toolchain worked, I think we could catch up. We've run dry
> several times recently. We spend a fair amount of time compiling
> packages we know are going to fail.

We should sort those packages out and add them to P-A-S, IMHO.

> > > Should we just accept that we're not going to make it, or am I being too
> > > quick to forget about it here?
> If I thought more people would jump in and start helping, I'd be a bit
> more optimistic.

I hope that the move to debian-68k from build-m68k will make the users more
aware of those kinds of problems, so that one or another will join or do
some work, but I guess, although some people might want to help, most don't
know how to help or where exactly to start.

So, who wants to help? ;)

> > Assuming a broken tool chain, yes, the port is defunct.
> Broken since gcc-4.0 rolled in and caught us napping. gcc-4.1 is way better,
> but still has problems.

Would it help to use crosscompiler for bug-hunting? It would speed up a lot.
I'm really no great fan of crosscompiling, but when it helps us to get
released...

--
Ciao...                //        Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo           \X/         SIP: 2744150@sipgate.de

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij/public_key.asc