A3000 install of v3r1

I recently decided to install Debian on my 12yr old A3000 to see
what it would do.  The machine is currently running AmigaOS 3.9 and
has run Minix 1.0 in the past.

Things started up ok, got to the install script on the Amiga side,
and then proceeded to start the install.  Answered the first two
configuration questions (keyboard, language), but then it hung attempting
to install.  When I flipped through the various consoles it showed
messages saying that it was timing out talking to scsi id 5 - which in
my case in the cdrom.

Assuming that the 2x cdrom was too slow to react, I replaced it with
a 24x cdrom.  Unfortunately, now when the installation script starts
(on the AmigaOS 3.9 side), I get a System Error and am asked to restart
the system.

Any suggestions, help?

Hardware -

A3000 @ 16MHz
6MB Fast, 2MB Chip
128MB added through DKB 128
A2410 Graphics Card
A2065 Ethernet Card
100MB Zip Drive
24x CD ROM
600 MB Teac Tape Drive

jerry
       //  Jerry Heyman      | "Software is the difference between
      //   Amiga Forever :-) |  hardware and reality"
  \\ //    heymanj@acm.org   |
   \X/     http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/e/heymanj/