Re: Installing Debian on Amiga

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:21:09PM +1100, stephen wrote:

> I've downloaded the debian-31r1-m68k-binary-1.iso to 13 iso's so I can have a
> go at running linux on my Amiga 1200, "Blizzard '030 at 50mhz, 64mb ram,
> 20gig ide hd, 52spd ide cdrom, 3com pcmcia network card.
>
> I've been looking through the first cd to install linux, and can't find the
> installer. I have looked through the insall instructions for the m68k on the
> debian website and got lost/confused.

I've been staring at etch too much lately, but sarge should look pretty
similar.

You should find amiboot in /install/tools/amiga/ along with some
StartInstall scripts which depend on your graphics card. In theory
clicking one of these should kick everything off.

If you want to do it by hand, the along with amiboot, you'll need to
grab an amiga kernel from /install/kernels and the cdrom initrd from
/install/cdrom/initrd.gz.

> Btw: I've been running linux on pc's for some time now, and want to have a go
> at it on the amiga.

Please let us know if you run into any problems.

<stephen@marenka.net>