Re: Make menuconfig and libncurses-dev

On 28.01.2006, Christian Steigies wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 11:34:33PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:

<snip>

>> Did these packages drop out of the distribution by mistake or can the
>> required library files for "make menuconfig" now be found in a different
>> package?
>
> cts@chumley:~>wajig install libncurses-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Note, selecting libncurses5-dev instead of libncurses-dev
>
> cts@chumley:~>wajig install tk-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package tk-dev is a virtual package provided by:
>  tk8.4-dev 8.4.9-1
>  tk8.0-dev 8.0.5-11
> You should explicitly select one to install.
>
> ncurses5 is fine, but you don't need tk for menuconfig???
>
> wajig search (or apt-cache, ap-get, apt-whatever search) is your friend.
>
> Christian

Thanks to both of you for these helpful hints. I am glad that there are some
experts on this mailing list.

Maybe it would be a good idea to adapt the kernel source package description
(mention libncurses5-dev instead of libncurses)? Could keep other folks
from stumbling over the same issue as I did. I did a search for
libncurses-dev in aptitude - it did not tell me that libncurses5-dev can
replace libncurses-dev. Next time, I will try wajig...

Best Regards,

Peter