Re: Installing Sarge (3.1r1) on Amiga

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:36:03PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:
> Hi Stephen,

Howdy!

> On 16.01.2006, you wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 12:32:55PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:

> > What install method did you use? Which initrd? What command line?
> >
> > Where did you get d-i from?
> >

> I installed from the CD set (13 CDs labeled Debian 3.1 r1 m68k bin)
> using the StartInstall_clgen icon in the amiga directory.

Okay, installation from cd doesn't configure the network.

> >> Some information about my set-up: Amiga 2000, Blizzard 2060 with 64 MByte
> >> RAM and SCSI, Oktagon 2008 SCSI, X-Surf Ethernet, Picasso II graphics
> >> adapter.
> >>
> >> The first observation was that the installer was not able to detect my
> >> Ethernet adapter (X-Surf). In my Woody installation, the card works with
> >> Kernel 2.4.27 with the zorro8390 module. Is there a way to repeat the
> >> network configuration after the base installation has finished?
> >
> > Do you mean after you rebooted into the new system?
> >

> Yes. Is there some special Debian configuration program or should I use
> a generic one like linuxconf?

You could. I haven't messed with linuxconf in years.

First I would modprobe zorro8390. If that works, add it to /etc/modules.

The debian way for networks is man 5 interfaces.

/etc/network/interfaces
	auto eth0

	iface eth0 inet dhcp

or
	iface eth0 inet static
       		address 192.168.1.1
               	netmask 255.255.255.0

or some such.

Then ....

$ ifup eth0

> > It would be interesting to know whether modprobe zorro8390 from vt2 of
> > the installation would've gotten you a working network.
> >

> I repeated the first part of the install process to check. I discovered that
> the zorro8390 module is actually included in the list of modules offered
> for manual selection (I did not try this one during the actual installation
> because I was looking for the ariadne2 module, which used to be the
> appropriate one some time ago; the fact that the name had changed to
> zorro8390 had escaped me at this time... sorry for this one). Manual
> selection of the zorro8390 in the list worked. The installer continued with
> configuring the network for DHCP (which would not have been my preferred
> choice - I was rather looking for a way to configure a static IP address).

Seems like if dhcp fails it lets you configure statically.

> Maybe you can add examples for adapter names in the list? Some other people
> may have similar problems to make a connection between the zorro8390 module
> and ariadne2 or X-Surf adapters.

I'll need one of you amiga folks to give me your thoughts on this.

> >> The partitioning program had problems with one of my SCSI drives. Two of
> >> them are connected to the Blizzard 2060 SCSI adapter (a 2 GByte IBM drive
> >> and a 4 GByte IBM drive). The one I had problems with is a 9 GByte
> >> Fujitsu drive connected to the Oktagon 2008 SCSI adapter. The installer
> >> was able to detect the drive and displayed size and drive type correctly.
> >> However, it did neither display partitions already present on the drive
> >> nor let me add new partitions.
> >>
> >> The "partition a hard drive" menu item of the installer did not work
> >> either. It displayed a list of all three hard drives. When selecting a
> >> drive from the list, it jumped back to the list after a few seconds.
> >>
> >> Initially, I wanted to install Sarge on the third drive (9 GByte Fujitsu;
> >> one
> >> partition is already in use, so I could not erase the drive/partition
> >> table completely). The problems with the installer forced me to install
> >> on one of the IBM drives.
> >
> > Interesting. I'd sure like to see the installation log files. Probably
> > in /var/log/installer of the new system.
>
> I will send you the files in a separate message. Some of the are quite big
> and probably not interesting for all folks reading this list.

That's fine.

> >> When installing packages, the install process displayed an error message.
> >> It could not find the package "read-edid"
> >
> > That shouldn't happen: network or cd?
> >

> CD set

I'll have to investigate. It's probably hardcoded and doesn't really
apply to us anyway. It didn't actually cause a failure did it? (I mean
where the installer stops and complains?)

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>