Re: m68k not a release arch for etch; status in testing, future plans?

Hello,

On Wednesday, October 18, 2006, at 03:43  AM, Roman Zippel wrote:

Outside of the m68k team I have unfortunately not seen any serious effort to actually accommodate the needs the smaller ports. Debian has been the
home for a wide range of users, but that's unfortunately not true any
longer and Debian should be honest enough to tell its users to go look for
a new home as they are no longer welcome.

the things you are saying here are very sad, but I true felt that in the past year "Debian changed". And in a way I don't like. In my personal opinon I think it has to do with Ubuntu and competition with it and other platforms... debian used to be much more than a "desktop" (also in the fact that it hwas always been a desktop only for more experienced users, since others just choose ubuntu or similar distirbutions, for reasons I do not want to discuss here, it is just a fact), I have used it and seen it used in servers and also other stranger applications. I hope we don't drop this. Debian has always been also one of the linux distributions which supported more architectures, I have used it a bit as "netbsd of linux". Just think of the long-standing efforts in 68k, hurd or sparc. We shouldn't loose our roots. We are out of the kinky bells-n-whistles desktop arena anyway. People there seek different features than debian provides.

Just my 2 cents of course,

-R