Re: Fwd: linux-image-2.6-17-mac tries

> > > i did try this, i found it was behaving rather unpredictably, once i
> > > got an error
> > > 54 not understood,
> >
> > ??? The above should go into the kernel options line of the booter, in
> > case I didn't make this clear before. "54 not understood" is nothing I
> > would expect the kernel to issue.
> >
> i interpreted this exactly that way. the message comes from the scsci
> controller. the controller is recieving commanf code 54 which besides
> being an optional command (not part of the standard list) is not even
> appropriate -- - 54 is for a cd/dvd-r drive not a hd.
>
> my impression thence is that maybe the kernel is not even using the
> correct driver, at all. since it does not follow the current standard of
> using modules, there is not easy way to check, load, unload drivers
> as there would be with a sane initrd. that is to me one of the goals
> of etch, why there are two replacement candidates for mkinitrd and
> a new format besides.

I rather think the kernel does get the SCSI command queues mixed up or
corrupted in some way. Maybe some other driver scribbles over the SCSI
command space. Locking broken, or some DMA process running wild (the only
thing I can imagine would be Sonic, or IIfx DMA).

> with command codes at controller level scrambled , anyway no
> wonder that directories get corrupted.

Yup. The question is, how does the corruption happen?