Re: gcc status

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 08:56:51PM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
>
> > Any interest in tackling emacs21 or gcj-4.1? ;)
>
> I looked shortly into exmacs21 and that's a bit more complicated. It could
> be a cache issue, so if someone tried to build it on 030 machine, it might
> help to confirm the suspicion.

not sure if it is related, but last time I tried to compile xemacs
on m68k it failed because of pointer and struct alignment issues.
The improved lisp engine assumed all 32 bit values in memory were
aligned on 32 bit boundaries which failed horribly on m68k where
16bit alignment is the rule. The lowest bits of a pointer were used
as some tag so the type system could not work.

That was some years ago and the code was beyond repair.

Richard