Re: m68k not a release arch for etch; status in testing, future plans?

On Monday 18 September 2006 08:55, Steve Langasek wrote:
> It's with some regret that I have to confirm that m68k is not going to
> be a release architecture for etch.

Firstly my condolences to the m68k porters. I know it is not for lack of
good intentions and hard work. In my experience the m68k port is one of
the more active in Debian.

Practically, what does this mean for the website, the Release Notes,
Debian Installer and the Installation Guide? Some ideas below.
Any issues I've missed in this list?

* Website
m68k should probably get a special mention on the ports page [1]. Maybe a
new section "Ports that are no longer supported"?
The short description should probably mention that m68k is still available
in unstable and may become supported again in the future.
The detailed port page [2] should reflect the new status as well.

Of course these changes should only become visible after the release.

* Release Notes
I guess m68k will need to be removed from the list of supported arches. We
should probably include a para about the removal and the reasons for it.

IMO we should not generate an m68k-variant of the Release Notes.

* Debian Installer
Should probably be treated as any other package: continue building it,
continue uploading it, but ignore issues and don't migrate to testing.
So, daily images should

One problem is CD images as these are all generated from testing. So, if
m68k is removed from testing, it will have to be disabled. This will need
further discussion when "another solution" is designed and implemented.

* Installation Guide
Add note in the introduction that m68k is not officially supported.
Otherwise the same as d-i: continue building and uploading into unstable.
I'd suggest to just keep the development version available on alioth [3].

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/ports/
[2] http://www.debian.org/ports/m68k/