Re: Which kernel?

James Stocks wrote:
I've just installed Sarge on my Mac LC 475 and I'm having a lot of fun with it, I never thought I'd have Apache or Firefox on a 68k Mac!

I have a question, however: I am using the 2.2.25-mac kernel that was on the business-card iso, I tried downloading the 2.4.27 and 2.6.8 kernels with apt and copying the kernel images to the System 7 partition to use with Penguin, but neither would boot (resulted in a kernel panic). Is 2.2.25 the best kernel to use or is there a newer one? Do I have to compile it myself? I am new to Linux on m68k, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi James,

Yes, for Mac's 2.2.25 is probably the best kernel. Except for some Powerbooks that work better with 2.4.1 or so ;-). Development now is focused on 2.6.x for (desktop?) Macs. Don't know about Powerbooks. Haven't heard anything about them the last 2 years or so. If you want to try a 2.6.x kernel please try the 2.6.15 from 2.6.15-4.1 that Christian Steigies recently announced on debian-68k@l.d.o. If it's not in the archive yet, you can find it at http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/linux-image/

HTH, Erik.