Re: out of memory with 2.6.15

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:49:21PM +0100, Erik C.J. Laan wrote:
> This does indeed seem to fix the SCSI problems, great!
> ADB is not working however. It does not crash the kernel anymore like
> with 2.6.10 in March of 2005 where Finn eventuelly compiled one without
> ADB altogether that worked. But it does not do anything when I type at
> the keyboard. Forgot to try the mouse because I only saw that was
> registered separately after pushing reset. Had to do that because the
> ethernet modules are not in the kernel so I had no way to cleanly
> shutdown, so it's e2fsck'ing the /-partition at the moment. I had a
> serial console connected so the boot-log is attached as
> 2.6.15-1-4.1-20060205.

I would be surprised if the mouse worked while the keyboard didn't
respond. The adbhid driver handles both and has no 68k specific code.
My guess is that the driver for the controller doesn't work. The
driver for Mac II style ADB has been broken most of the time. In fact,
I don't remember any reports of it being completely working in 2.6.

> I'll try completely installing the .deb on the /-partition with the
> 2.6.10 kernel from March 2005. I'll then put the eth-modules in
> /etc/modules so they will be loaded on boot. Hmm, I cannot find any
> network-hardware driver-modules. Is that correct? As can be seen from
> the log I have both a onboard Sonic ethernet and a C-Net card in a NuBus
> slot. The only .ko in kernel/drivers/net I thought could maybe would be
> is was mii.ko, so I put mii.ko in /etc/modules on a line by itself and
> rebooted. Bang: this time the kernel crashed again. And I'm sure it was
> the -4.1 kernel. Log is attached as _2. The 3 try resulted in a
> different crash and it's getting late, so I'll have to leave it at this.
> Log of the third crash is attached.

My guess would be that your nubus card is handled by mac8390. The
onboard ethernet would be macsonic. I suspect they are both builtin,
but it's hard to say without looking at the config. The mii driver
is just a library used by many ethernet drivers, and it is useless
by itself. If a driver needs it, modprobe will load it for you.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com