Re: Solution for issue with PicassoII and flickering pixels

On 05.02.2006, Christian Steigies wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 06:25:09PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:
>>
>> I loaded the kernel image archive and the yaird archive, installed yaird
>> directly from the .deb-file using dpkg, got error messages stating that
>> yaird depends on dash, libhtml-template-perl, and
>> libparse-recdescent-perl, installed these three packages from my Sarge
>> 3.1r1 CD set using aptitude. When installing the kernel-image from the
>> .deb-file using dpkg, I got an error message that dpkg is not able to
>> set-up the package.
>
> That is strange, works on my Amiga and Mac, but on the Atari I got a
> similar message an no clue for what could be wrong. Maybe there is some
> truth in the yaird needs a running 2.6 kernel to create the initrd? But
> IIRC it worked on the Mac. Anyhow, all drivers you need are built in
> (SCSI, IDE), optional drivers (ethernet) can be loaded as module from the
> filesystem. I should switch off the initrd building, does not work (yet)
> for us anyhow.

Well, as it seems, not all drivers... clgenfb or cirrusfb seems to be
missing. After booting the kernel, I got some disk activity (SCSI disks),
but nothing on the screen. Unfortunately, my monitor cannot display
vertical frequencies below 56 Hz. So if the Picasso card is activated,
everything is fine (usually starts with 640x480 mode with 60 Hz). If it is
not, I don't get anything on my screen.

The fact that there was nothing on the screen means that either the Picasso
driver was not started at all or it is not working correctly. It did not
start with the wrong vertical frequency. If it starts, I hear the "click"
from the video interface switch. This "click" did not occur during the boot
process, so it was not activated.

After the disk activity ended, I tried to log in blindly and shut down the
system. As there was no further disk activity, I conclude that either the
kernel already stopped working or the keyboard did not work. Sorry, this
test was not very successful.

My proposal would still be to send me the current cirrusfb.c file (or tell
me, where I can download it - but please not as part of a complete kernel
source archive). I can offer to check, which value is used to set mclk and
propose a change to make it work with the Picasso board, if necessary.
Analyzing the file appears to be less effort than trying to test the new
kernel.

>> The kernel will be located at 0x08000000
>> Kernel is compressed
>> Uncompressing kernel image
>> Compressed image too large! Aborting.
>>

>> Are there any other tricks necessary to boot a 2.6 kernel image?
>
> As Ingo said, uncompress it, this is a "feature" of amiboot and/or
> linux2.6. gunzip -cd /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-amiga >
> /amiga/vmlinux-2.6.15-1-amiga from Linux. Adjust the output file to your
> needs, obviously.

This trick actually worked for me. Strange that an uncompressed (larger)
kernel fits and a compressed (smaller) one is considered too large.

> Christian

Best Regards,

Peter