Re: Make menuconfig and libncurses-dev

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 11:34:33PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when trying to configure the source for compiling a customized kernel, I
> tried to use "make menuconfig". The process aborted with the error message
> that it could not find the required ncurses libraries.
>
> According to the help / module description of the kernel source, I need to
> install libncurses-dev and tk-dev. However, I did not find these packages
> in the aptitude list of available packages (list from the Sarge CD set
> 3.1r1).
>
> Did these packages drop out of the distribution by mistake or can the
> required library files for "make menuconfig" now be found in a different
> package?

cts@chumley:~>wajig install libncurses-dev
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Note, selecting libncurses5-dev instead of libncurses-dev

cts@chumley:~>wajig install tk-dev
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package tk-dev is a virtual package provided by:
  tk8.4-dev 8.4.9-1
  tk8.0-dev 8.0.5-11
You should explicitly select one to install.

ncurses5 is fine, but you don't need tk for menuconfig???

wajig search (or apt-cache, ap-get, apt-whatever search) is your friend.

Christian