Re: Preparing the m68k port for the future.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 03:05:10PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> > > On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 02:09:19PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > The main showblocker with that is that package building doesn't support "make
> > > -jX" yet. I think other archs with SMP support might benefit as well when
> > > there would be a way to support this feature...
> > Enabling `-j' will probably expose concurrency problems in the build system for
> > lots of packages.
>
> With the upcoming multi-core CPUs the need for sane SMP support will
> increase, I think.
> When it would be possible to let the maintainer define if a package builts
> fine on SMP systems with -j...

Or on non-SMP systems. Even single CPU may benefit from -j 2.

> > What about building different packages in parallel instead?
>
> Erm, well, some m68ks already suffering from bad disk i/o (macs). Concurrent
> builds might slow down the builds as well due to higher memory requirements.
> For Amigas there're not that many accel cards that support >128M RAM... I

IIRC, the FastLane accepts 256 MiB.

> don't know how fast the disk i/o on ataris or macs is, but on my Amigas it's
> <5 MB/s even with the new kernel patches from Kars... and using two buildds

Main memory on e.g. my A4000 doesn't do more than 12 MiB/s anyway. Memory on
accelerator boards (Widlfire anyone? ;-) will be faster.

> with c++ builds on the same machine will result in much swapping for sure...
> ;)

Of course.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert