Re: Amiga and Sarge: any hope to have X working?

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 09:37:00AM +0200, Emiliano wrote:
> > Alle 21:34, marted�1 ottobre 2005, Kars de Jong ha scritto:
> > > You have a 68060, and I believe the module loader in X (XFree86 or Xorg)
> > > still doesn't do cache flushing, which will cause the '060 with its 8k
> > > instruction cache to fail. With other CPUs (especially a '030) things
> > > usually work fine even without the cache flushes because its cache gets
> > > flushed all the time anyway, and the cache is tiny anyway.
> >
> > Thanks for your explanation. Is there some way to turn the cache (temporarily)
> > off?
>
> there are better workarounds;)
>   - compile monolithic X server without modules, I have done
>     that and it works perfectly on 68060. For a production machine
>     a monolithic X server is in many cases preferable to module
>
>   - fix module loading. Adding some cacheflush calls is really
>     easy once you know where to put them..

Or use dlopen(). I hate it if X wants to reimplement functionality instead of
using what's available (speaking about dynamic linking of modules, messing with
PCI, ...).

> > > On my HP300 (with a '040) it manages to start X about once every ten
> > > times.
> >
> > > Plus it's a pain to compile X.
> >
> > May I help with this issue? I used to be an amiga coder, I also know basics
> > about linux programming on x86, so maybe I can give it a look...
> >
> > The best thing would be a VM inside a fast linux box, or even a cross-compiler
> > on the x86.
>
> one interesting way to speedup compiling is distcc.
>    http://distcc.samba.org/
>
> The setup is somewhat simpler than what you would have to do
> for a full crosscompiler, it is also slower as preprocessing
> and configure/make runs on the 680x0.

And ccache also helps. Never compile the same file twice ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds