Etch Release Recertification

If we want m68k to release with etch, then we need to recertify [0] the
platform by Nov. 20 [1]. ia64 [2] and hppa [3] have elected to go the
wiki route to document their status.

Do we still have fifty users out there? Should we rely on people
installing popcon [4] to prove it? How about a wiki petition?

Perhaps of greater concern is upstream support. I'd say we need help
chasing toolchain bugs down. Progress has been made in getting gcc-4.0
into shape, but it still segfaults. Binutils has been broken for a
month. Linux 2.6 doesn't run on most of the subarchs and mac still
requires a 2.2 kernel to install, which is in danger of being dropped
from sid. Debian-installer, d-i, doesn't support 2.6 on m68k because 2.6
doesn't work with atari/aranym or macs and that's all I have.

The porter team at m68k-build has been trying to keep up with demand.
With all the toolchain problems, however, we've been warned that we may
well see m68k package status ignored as a consideration for moving
packages to testing. As I say this, we have 343 packages needing to be
built and another big chunk that have failed due to toolchain problems.
We haven't been under 50 packages in the queue for months.

So is m68k a viable platform still?

If you think so, then please take some time to help with the kernel and
the toolchain. Oh yeah, and if one of you folks that loves atari would
add its filesystem support to libparted [5], that would really help
atari installation (code exists in atari-fdisk and linux).

Thanks,

Stephen
(m68k d-i guy, maintainer of 4 buildds, sometime porter, and hoping to
see debian on coldfusion)

[0] <http://release.debian.org/etch_arch_criteria.html>
[1] <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/10/msg00000.html>
[2] <http://wiki.debian.net/?ia64EtchReleaseRecertification>