Re: How to trigger new build attempt on m68k?

* Christian T. Steigies <cts@debian.org> [050908 22:47]:

> > my DCMTK 3.5.3-4 packages have recently FTBFS on m68k due to a
> > toolchain problem with g++-4.0_4.0.1-3 ("internal compiler error").
> > Please see [1] for a discussion about this issue on this list.
> > Because this FTBFS on m68k prevents the DCMTK packages from
> > entering Etch, I would like to retry the build on m68k with the
> > current gcc/g++ version in Sid.
>
> What makes you think it will build now, without any changes in your package?

Well, after all, it's still a problem with the m68k toolchain and
not with a package itself. Right? As I gathered from the
abovementioned thread there is nothing I can do except for
waiting for a new gcc release.

> Does a new gcc version fix the ICE?

That's what I'd like to find out, actually.

> With the current backlog on m68k, I would not recommend
> requeueing your package without some evidence that it will not
> fail with the same problem again.

Ok.

> But of course, if you are a DD, you can just
> log in to the public m68k machine(s) and try for yourself.

Unfortunately I am not a DD and I don't have access to any m68k
box or else I would have certainly tried to check this out by
myself rather than pestering this list.

> Of course we will requeue all fails, one gcc-40 works again.

Ok. Thanks.

> If the build tree on a400 has not been deleted yet, I would suggest starting
> by compiling just the file that failed, to save a few hours of CPU time. And
> maybe you can try compiling with -O2. Most fails I've seen were with -O3,
> but maybe -O1 (or -O) is just as bad, stranger things have happened...

I would love to do so. But - as already said - I don't have
access to any appropriate machine. And I don't want to upload  a
new DCMTK release with -O2 (or ask my sponsor to do so), as this
would unnecessarily force rebuilds on all the other archs as
well ...

Best regards - Juergen

--
GPG A997BA7A | 87FC DA31 5F00 C885 0DC3  E28F BD0D 4B33 A997 BA7A